sábado, 12 de septiembre de 2026

Minifig Custom Handpainted Backpacks

 Last weeks I have been working in one of the accessories that I think improve the most my minifigs. The most important one since the release of the 3D minifig gear from BrickArms like 10 years ago! I'm talking about some backpacks I found on AliExpress like a month ago. It is an idea I have had for years but without a 3D printer there was little I could do. Finally AliExpress has come with these cool backpacks and I painted some and today I will explain you how I did it in case someone wants to use them too.



First of all this below is the original product we will modify. Brickssoldier and others like La Brique de Cambronne sell Backpacks similar to these ones too but they are more expensive. You can just paint them if you don't use gear like I do or you can modify them as I will teach you and glue it to the BrickWarriors gear as you see in the previous picture. It's up to you and depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend. The costs of the products we modify today are 1,50$ the BrickWarriors gear (called French Suspenders on their website) and some cents each backpack on AliExpress (they come in bulk x5 or x15 if I'm not wrong). 

You can get them here: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_c4cVMB33

First step: Cut the neck part (follow the first steps only if you want to join the backpack to the gear)



There will be two sharp edges. It is normal. In the next step we are going to sand them.

Second step: Now we will sand it. I use a nail file but you can use softer sand papers to have more control over it. Take care so you don't sand the edges too much.



Clean it when you finished to remove the dust.

Third step: now we will apply some glue on the inner walls of the backpack and on the stud of the BrickWarriors gear to join them together. You will see they are a bit loose but if you hold them together for a couple minutes the glue will dry and they won't move anymore. You can even apply some plastic putty to increase the surface of contact between them.



Must look like this. Make sure it is well squared before the glue dries.


Fourth step: Now paint it the way you have chosen. I use acrylic colors from AV Vallejo and Tamiya.

Use small brushes for these little accessories.

Final step: To finish you need to apply some varnish. I'm no expert and I don't know if it's right (I'm open to suggestions) but I use a normal varnish which is stronger but shiny and over it I apply a matte one that makes it not shine but apparently still protects it enough.



And that was all! Let me know any suggestions or questions you have. Please remember that from time to time you will need to work on them again because the paint fades away sooner or later.

I posted a YouTube video explaining it too in case you want to check it out.








No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario